Bishop Joseph Keim

Being we are having a Family Reunion in Arthur Illinois this weekend, I decided to come out a few days early, to do some research and digging around, asking questions. Yesterday we got that accomplished with the help of more family members. 

 Bishop Joseph Keim's grave with a few of his direct descendants. Betty my sister is a grandchild seven generations ago and Peter & Grace grandchildren nine generations ago. He died May 23, 1872 at the age of 46, after living in the Arthur area for only seven years. His wife moved back to Ohio with the remanding children. Next to her husband are the grave stones of two of their children, Lena age 15 and John age 6 month. 

Here Peter is having a hard time standing next to Joseph's grave with his modern computer. I wanted the contrast of Joseph's pioneer age with the modern technology of his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren. Peter was remembering the funeral of his great-grandfather Dan Mast, so he wasn't interested in reliving those memories.

 We spend quite a bit of time looking for Joseph's grave stone, but then Betty found it and also of his two children.


We paid Oba Helmuth a visit and got some more information, but I would appreciate more information if anybody knows of a source I can research. Or stories their ancestors told about the first years in the Arthur, Illinois area.

Joseph Keim's youngest daughter Barbara married Honsamony, my great grandpa. (Honsamony is Emanuel's John in English.)

2 comments:

  1. Katie, it looks like you had an emotional moment when this was found. I can only imagine. Someday I want to look up some of my ancestors, too. I know their names, but now to find them...

    I hope you find all the information you are looking for. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerdie in The NetherlandsJuly 5, 2014 at 2:13 AM

    Katie, it's been 2 weeks since your last post. Am worried about you.
    How are you doing? I hope you're well. Miss your posts and photos.
    Greetings from a silent follower ~~ Gerdie

    ReplyDelete

Try out this link to see how it works. I am new at Wordpress. Pinecraftsarasota.home.blog Thanks.