Benefit Breakfast and Marijuana

Yesterday there was a benefit breakfast at the Pinecraft Park, with the proceeds going to the local Amish church to help pay the expense of rebuilding the church building. The rebuilding was done a year ago but there are still payments to be made.

A good number of people showed up for the breakfast of pancakes and sausage. Dan Stutzman and his wife Martha were in charge of the breakfast. And this photo is Dan.

Lee Keim one of the local Amish is eating his breakfast on the run and visiting with John Henry Whetstone who is offering refills of coffee. Well, at least he was offering coffee but he stopped to chat with Lee.

This is Dave Dannie from Ohio, although they are winter residence in Sarasota. Him and his wife Mattie are serving the orange juice. Mattie, his wife is on the other side of Dannie. They used to be our neighbors years ago in Ohio. 
 

I shared the picnic table with a local couple originally from Boone North Carolina. So out of the blue I asked them if the people still raise Marijuana back in the mountains? The man I asked this question looked like a preacher, although I don't know if he is one or not. But he took a bite of food, swallowed and said, "No, but Moon Shine is still done, just a little." His statement was not recent evidence but when the still lived in NC twenty some years ago. 

This conversation reminded me of a happening in Cookeville Tennessee. One time a small patch of Marijuana was discovered in our woods out on the main highway next to the Market, obviously planted by someone because the plants were in a neat little circle. I admit we were all taken up with the find, at least us who had never been exposed to anything so evil. Christiana Stoll wanted to carry one plant home to show to her Mom. I don't remember if she plucked a weed or if one of her brothers gave her one, but after she had the plant in her possession, we had to walk the busy highway in order to get to our little back woodsy road. Since she didn't want to be caught by the police, nor have the worldly neighbors see her carrying Marijuana, she carried it behind her back with a look of total guilt on her face. She would have walked the whole stretch of highway like this if it was up to her. But I told her to carry the plant in front of her and act normal, which she did and her Mom took care of the Marijuana. Although I don't think anybody tried smoking it. 

  


17 comments:

  1. Katie -- this is a hilarious story. I can just see you both young and innocent, with the guiltiest conscience! I would have been exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title caputred my interest ... usually it's your pictures! LOL!!!! I can also see you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of this caught me completely off guard! very cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, moonshine is definitely still made in NC. My family has a cabin in NC, and we get moonshine all the time! (legal, of course, but that doesn't mean we haven't come across the "illegal" kind either). It is strooooong stuff. I could never drink it! We mix it with some kind of Schnapps to water it down & give it flavor. Otherwise, it'll burn your entire GI tract and leave nothing behind! lol.. as for the weed, that is a funny story :) Isn't it crazy that it's illegal to pick a plant from the ground? I can't fathom that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember John Henry Whetstone, his wife was an aunt to one my sister in laws and we always heard all kinds of risque things about them. Nothing truly bad, just funny things that must have gotten overheard in the wall by my impressionable little friends.
    Haha! That is funny! I wish marijuana were legal, It could help a lot of people. Moonshine is done around here too. Nobody knows who, but if you have a connection, you can easily get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think marijuana should be legalized for pain and such.

      Delete
    2. Lisa (Smith) HolmesJanuary 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

      Hey Katie, would I have known the Dave Dannie pictured here pouring orange juice and whose wife is named Mattie?

      Delete
    3. Yes, Lisa. Dave Dannie's wife Mattie is/was Bishop Dave & Lizzie Troyer's daughter. They lived on Ely Road, next place after Ray & Betty's going toward Millborne Road where we lived.

      Delete
  6. Ms.Katie u have the funniest stories to share from ur memories!!!!LOVE IT!!!!
    Ranjini E from FB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, I grew up in Cookeville, TN. I lived there for 23 years before I got married and moved away. Did you live near Muddy Pond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived at the Christian Community 15 miles due north of Cookeville. The community lasted ten years from 1990-2000. I have been to Muddy Pond many times as a visitor in the years of 2004-2010.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your interesting account of marijuana, an invaluable, priceless medicinal treatment for many conditions for those who chose to use it. The strains developed for use today effectively treat anxiety, insomnia, nervousness, headaches, pain, soreness, epilepsy and/or seizures (unremitting or remitting), auto immune disorders, ehlers danlos syndrome, addiction situations and long term substance free maintenance, appetite and/or weight concerns, nausea, depression, communication disorders, bi-polar disorder, anger management,
    workaholism, ocd, and other uses. I'm praying for it to be available free of charge as it was before 1937 because we can do this for ourselves, those who choose to, getting 100% better at home. There is no substitute, alternative or replacement for the use of marijuana. I'm praying for there to be no criminal penalties for its' use in the U.S. and the world, for individuals to be able to travel without declaring it. Odor law(s) prevent the indiscriminate use publicly while people can use it appropriately in privacy (generally at home). In Europe, the places that allow home growing do not have the shelves of stores loaded with product, as it is somewhat a more unnoticed and unadvertised situation. Legal marijuana is all good because it is the best treatment and obviates the need for prescription drugs, where the side effects are worst than what you have. I'm praying for those who have been criminalized for this reason to be free of their obligation and record, as the criminal system has no justice in it. We can do everything with education, teaching the ten commandments in the schools, kindness, respect, 100% organic world, diet, exercise, sustainability so that people know why we are doing this, understand, and support these efforts. You are a blessing to me. Everyone in Pinecraft has been a blessing to me. I love everyone there. The people of Pinecraft have treated me like a queen. God bless everyone there. In Jesus name, Amen to all that. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,I need to ask you about getting one of your pictures for a friend of mine. Can you contact me at elizabethlandis@gmail.com
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. did you know that the yothers family tree book, has shone that the yoders,yetters,and the yothers are all from the same family, the family tree book goes back as far as 1642,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get lung cancer and other lung, heart issues smoking the garbage. Get rid of all those folks and replenish the earth .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use medical marijuana. I've never smoked it. I take it in tablet form.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to know who first invented it. I do not think that God would agree to us using it in any shape or form.

    ReplyDelete

Try out this link to see how it works. I am new at Wordpress. Pinecraftsarasota.home.blog Thanks.