My First Photo

Today while cleaning out a corner, I found the very first picture taken with my very first camera. The photo is dated June 1997. I had left Cookeville Tennessee in April 1996. It was not that cameras were completely outlawed in Cookeville, but basically the ones that came from a no-camera culture didn't get a camera and most of the other people who moved in either got rid of their cameras or kept them well hidden. I think in my mind it was an unspoken rule that we don't have the camera. During those years I never ever thought of even wanting a camera. 

A year later after leaving Cookeville I bought a camera. I remember the day I bought my camera. I was spending time at Bedford PA and one day I went shopping for a camera with Matthew Weaver and Betty Ann (Zook) Stoltzfus.  The two helped me select a camera because I didn't know what I want.  As soon as we came back after our shopping spree one of the two took this shot of me out in John Weavers garage. 
 
A year later I got rid of the camera because I was totally consumed with taking pictures. The camera ruled my life. I did without a camera for a year. Then I bought a big cheap 35mm camera and didn't let the camera rule my life again. One reason I was more careful was the cost of developing the film.
 
Around 2004-05 I bought my first digital camera, the smallest Kodak camera I could find... and my camera/photo life took off. I learned how to download them on my computer, how to look at them critically, how to edit and print only those I wanted from my computer and printed them from my printer.   

6 comments:

  1. Love this! You were always ment to have a camera in your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathie.
    I am to agree with you the most important this is not the photos but we build around us with our heart.
    Thank you for sharing this happy to see you Kathie.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lena! It's neat that you found this photo and I love the story behind it. Also how your talent 'developed!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cameras were "verboten" in Amish circules primarily because of the commandment against creating a "graven image"--the light "engraved" the picture on the film material. Today, it is a little more difficult to apply that law, since digital photography does not "engrave" it creates pixels! Anyway, it is good not to let any "thing" rule our lives--they are to be dedicated to spiritual service to our Creator, so I glad to hear you control the camera and not the other way around! Best wishes as I enjoy the fruit of your labor, Katie! Leon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are taking pictures! I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are coming down in a month and I'll take another one of you.....and also show you some others I have taken around Pinecraft.
    Moe and Edna Gingerich

    ReplyDelete

Tower of Hope Fundraiser

Tower of Hope fundraiser is for some sort of a prison ministry. This is the first one at the Pinecraft park for this season.